Monday, January 19, 2009

Recipe: Raw Candy

"We're always attracted to the edges of what we are, out by the edges where it's a little raw and nervy." -E. L. Doctorow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This recipe is so simple it really should not be called a recipe.
It's an easy fix for those who get a hankering for something sweet, but not so unhealthy that you feel bad or guilty afterwords. My solution to this raw candy that is comprised of two simple ingredients: OrganicMedjool Dates and Organic Raw Almonds (real raw almonds, not the fake steamed kind). Like most edible concoctions, the better the ingredients you use the better the results.

Ingredients
Organic medjool dates
Organic raw almonds
(These will be used on a one-to-one basis.)

None really...

Steps
1. Cut or pull open your medjool dates, and pull the pits out. (Make sure you completely get rid of the pits, as mistaking one of them for a skinny almond could prove disastrous for your teeth.)

2. Place one or two almonds inside each medjool date.

3. Push and close the medjool date back together. Now you have your very raw candy to enjoy...it's really that simple.


End notes: High-quality medjool dates are really good for you...and are a staple of typical middle eastern breakfasts (usually consumed with flat bread and yogurt). I purchased my dates from the People's Food Coop in PDX, and I would behoove you to find a good source for your dates too if your a big fan of them. The medjool dates at Trader Joe's are very inexpensive, but also very mediocre...but they're an acceptable alternative if you have no other options. Ditto with the almonds. ;) I know a lot of people who do not like the taste/texture of dates...does anyone have an other simple recipes for healthy raw foods on the sweet side of things?

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed that while TJ's almonds are cheapest, they aren't the tastiest. I'm sure what you are saying about dates holds true too!

    Raw desserts? When I went all-raw for a few months last year I made pies with date/nut crusts, filled with berry/banana blends and chilled. The dates are really indispensible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Finding good dates can be a problem...I'm also a bit of an organic snob, so finding high-quality organic dates can be really tricky at times.

    The best almonds I ever had were marcona almonds from Spain...really light and flavorful!

    Your all-raw pies sound delicious...did you post a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I tried sprouting some almonds. I then made a small batch of "raw candy" with the sprouted almonds and medjool dates. They turned out wonderfully! I would highly recommend sprouting your almonds for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete