Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Recipe: Sprouted Almonds

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." -Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After reading a wonderful article extolling the many virtues of almonds, especially sprouted raw almonds, I decided to finally try my hand at sprouting my own. I must say it was far simpler than I imagined and after tasting a few...I'm convinced that I am going to start sprouting a lot more often!

I tried adding these sprouted almonds with a few medjool dates (my raw candy recipe), and the combination was superior than when I used regular raw almonds. Here is the super easy "recipe"...if you can even call it that:

Ingredients
Raw almonds (they have to be truly raw to be sproutable, a problem for California almonds)
Celtic sea salt

Filtered water

Equipment
Large bowl
Refrigerator or cooler

Steps
1. Wash and rinse-off your raw almonds very very well. Place them in a large bowl, and rinse again so that the water runs clear.

2. Pour filtered water in the bowl so that the almonds are completely covered. You don't need to have them floating in a large amount of water, but at least give them some room to expand...because they will.

3. Add a pinch or two of celtic sea salt.

4. Place in the fridge (or cooler...or other cool spot) for 12 hours or so.

5. Pour out the water, rinse them once more, and place your almonds on a dry towel or sheet. Let them dry completely. Once completely dry, enjoy them or store them in a jar/container for later.

End notes: I have probably over-stated this...but it is really important toi get quality ingredients. Although I like the price of Trader Joe's raw almonds...I consider them neither truly raw nor high-quality. There are some great online vendors where one can purchase high-quality raw nuts and other excellent raw food items. The next step for me is to try some raw Marcona almonds...which could be the best almond variety on earth.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I will certainly keep my eyes open for good almonds. I got some great ones (they were roasted--that was an accident--but still great!) at a random farmers market the other day. Normally the TJs ones are fine for me (not the raw goddess), but I can see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, the few Marcona almonds that I have tried were roasted...and they were also flipping amazing. I want to try some raw Marconas to see if they're equally amazing...as there is so much potential for raw nuts (nut milk, sprouted, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, sprouting. There's much soaking and growing to be done on the kitchen counter. My cats like to drink out of the bowls. You know what though, I've never heard to add sea salt to the soaking water, that's interesting. Could probably add a piece of kombu too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Michelle

    I was a bit skeptical of the whole sprouting thing at first...it seemed like a backwards way of trying to adapt to an all-raw lifestyle. After trying some of my own sprouted nuts and beans...I'm a believer.

    I've never tried kombu...it looks interesting and super healthy in moderation. It would probably work with nuts. I've even heard of using nama shoyu to marinate nuts...I think it all depends on ones personal preferences and palate! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking of doing this myself.
    I started nibbling the soaked almonds I use for almond milk...and I found them to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete